ASTM A106 SEAMLESS CARBON STEEL PIPE
ASTM A106 pipe is a seamless carbon steel alloy pipe intended for high temperature and high-pressure applications. A106 pipe is suitable for flanging and bending, and it used in industrial applications including, but not limited to: process piping, boiling plants, compression stations, refineries, and steam lines.
MSI Supply is a Pipe Distributor in Houston, TX that provides A106 pipe from 1/8" to 24" in diameter, with wall thickness ranging from schedule 10 to XXH. A106 pipe comes in both single (~20 ft) and double (~40 ft) random lengths. MSI also offers a number of different manufacturers for its A106 pipe. A list of a few of these manfacturers, along with some technical specifications for A106 pipe, can be seen below.
A106 Pipe Ordering Information
Required Information for Ordering
|Characteristic||What to Specify|
|Quantity||Feet or number of lengths|
|Size||NPS (Outside Diameter) and Schedule Number (Average Wall Thickness)|
|Grade||Grade A, Grade B (most common), or Grade C|
|Coating||Bare, Black, FBE, etc|
|Manufacturer||Approved Manufacturer List (AML), or Country of Origin restrictions|
A106 Pipe Manufacturing Considerations
- Hot Finish vs Cold Drawn A106 Pipe: Nominal A106 Pipe Sizes 1-1/2" and below may be either cold drawn or hot finished. A106 pipe sizes 2" and larger are hot finished, unless otherwise specified.
- Purchaser may specify NDE in lieu of hydrostatic test or neither.
- Killed steel, with primary melting process being open-hearth, basic-oxygen, or electric-furnace, possibly combined with separate degassing or refining.
- Steel cast in ingots or strand cast is permissible.
- Heat Treating: Hot-finished pipe need not be heat treated. Cold-drawn pipe shall be heat treated after the final cold draw pass.
Wall Thickness (and Weight)
- Wall thickness: The minimum wall thickness at any point shall not be more than 12.5% under the nominal wall thickness specified for the pipe.
- Weights per foot: The weight of any individual length shall not vary more than 10% over or 3.5% under specification. However, NPS 4" and smaller are weighed in lots. Larger diameter joints are weighed individually.
Outside diameter: The outside diameter shall not vary from standard specified in the chart below, at any point.
|1/8 to 1-1/2||1/64 (0.015)||1/64 (0.015)|
|Over 1-1/2 to 4||1/32 (0.031)||1/32 (0.031)|
|Over 4 to 8||1/16 (0.062)||1/32 (0.031)|
|Over 8 to 18||3/32 (0.093)||1/32 (0.031)|
|Over 18 to 26||1/8 (0.125)||1/32 (0.031)|
|Over 26 to 34||5/32 (0.156)||1/32 (0.031)|
|Over 34 to 48||3/16 (0.187)||1/32 (0.031)|
- Lengths of A106 seamless carbon steel pipe
- Single random – 16’ – 24'
- Double random – 36' – 44’
A106 Pipe Marking Requirements
Mark may be applied via: Rolled, die stamped, or paint stenciled (manufacturer’s option).
Content shall include:
- Manufacturer’s name, brand, or trademark
- A106 A, A106 B, or A106 C
- Hydrostatic test pressure and/or NDE, or NH if neither is specified
- Size, length, weight per foot (NPS 4 and larger)
- ANSI schedule number or weight class or wall thickness
- Additional “S” if tested supplementary requirements
ASTM A106 Pipe Grades
A106 Pipe Mechanical Properties
|Grade A||Grade B||Grade C|
A106 PIpe Chemical Requirements
Total of Cr, Cu, Mo, Ni, and V shall not exceed 1%
|Element||Grade A||Grade B||Grade C|
|Carbon (max %)||0.25||0.3||0.35|
|Manganese %||0.27 – 0.93||0.29 – 1.06||0.29 – 1.06|
|Phosphorus (max %)||0.035||0.035||0.035|
|Sulfur (max %)||0.035||0.035||0.035|
|Silicon (min %)||0.1||0.1||0.1|
|Copper* (max %)||0.4||0.4||0.4|
|Nickel* (max %)||0.4||0.4||0.4|
|Chromium* (max %)||0.15||0.15||0.15|
|Molybdenum* (max %)||0.08||0.08||0.08|
|Vanadium* (max %)||0.08||0.08||0.08|
*These five elements combined shall not exceed 1% total composition (2010)
Unless otherwise specified by the purchaser, for each reduction of 0.01 % below the specified carbon maximum, an increase of 0.06 % manganese above the specified maximum will be permitted up to a maximum of 1.65 %.
A106 Pipe Testing Requirements
A106 Pipe Hydrostatic Tests:
Hydrostatic Testing: Inspection test pressures produce a stress in the pipe wall equal to 60% of specified minimum yield strength (SMYS) at room temperature. Maximum pressures are not to exceed 2,500 psi for NPS 3" and under, and 2,800 psi for larger sizes. Pressure is maintained for no less than 5 seconds.
A106 Pipe Mechanical Tests:
- Tensile Test: Either transverse or longitudinal are acceptable for NPS 8" and larger
- Longitudinal testing only for tensile tests on sizes smaller than NPS 8"
- Flattening Test only for NPS 2" and larger
- Bending Test (cold) only for NPS 2 and under
|Degree of Bend||Diameter of Mandrel|
|For normal A106 uses||90||12x nominal diameter of pipe|
|For close coiling||180||8x nominal diameter of pipe|
Number of Tests: One tensile test per 200 lengths.
|NPS||On one length from each lot of:|
|Tensile||5 and smaller||400 or less|
|6 and larger||200 or less|
|Bending||2 and smaller||400 or less|
|Flattening||2 through 5||400 or less|
|6 and larger||200 or less|
A106 Pipe Manufacturers
|Jiangu Chengde Steel Tube||China|
|Mittal Steel||Czech Republic Romania|
|NKK / Tenaris||Japan|